Sunday, July 12, 2009

Garden Update

I thought I would share with you the pictures I got of the cucumber plant this morning. There was a lot of dew on the leaves and the droplets were just gorgeous. I took a number of photos, but these were my favorite.



I had leaves growing and I didn't know what they were until a couple of days ago. Aren't these gladiolus really pretty? There are a number of them growing around our cul-de-sac area. They are all different colors, but I like ours best. There are another two stocks of these in our yard which will be blooming soon and I think they will be pink also.

The last picture is of my tomatoes----they are turning red! I only have one tomato plant, ES and C don't particularly care for them, but I wanted some fresh tomatoes and before long I will have them.

I don't have much of a garden spot, just some pots on the balcony, but they have been fun to watch and see what is growing there. I have teeny, tiny cucumbers and I'm not sure they will all make it to maturity. I haven't found any pumpkins yet, but they are still blooming. I pulled most of the lettuce, it was really kind of bitter. I would really like to find the type my mom used to plant while we were growing up. We used to eat it with sugar, if you can believe that.

Not much knitting has been going on this weekend. I have been doing some spinning, but not much else besides work, having dinner with friends, and chaperoning a youth dance. Not enough time in the weekend!

Happy knitting and spinning.

3 comments:

LDSVenus said...

I surely understand that not enough time stuff ;P. Your plants are doing so well!! I'm jeaoulous that your tomatoes are turning red already, my two plants (one large tomatoes and one grape tomatoes) have green tomatoes on them but no where close to red yet. sigh. I picked 3 large ones (it has a ton on it) to see if they would get red by the window seal, but nope not yet. I'll post a picture sometime this week when I get around to getting one :P.

Anita said...

I still sometimes buy leaf lettuce at the store and put sugar on it! One of those happy memories. My tomatoes are doing great but they are still just tiny. Nowhere near the size of yours and certainly not red. My watermelon plants didn't survive when we went to Utah. Very sad. Only two of our mammoth sunflowers lived, too, but they are only about two feet tall so far and don't have heads yet. Who knows what they'll do. I'm so glad I actually got to plant something this year! I love your gladiolus by the way.

AlisonH said...

Lettuce tends to go bitter when it gets really hot, from what I remember reading (but haven't tried, so don't really know). For me, it's mint leaves dipped in sugar that's an old favorite.