Thursday, September 9, 2010

Pear Butter

What do you do with six past ripe pears?

I have been craving some apple or pear butter and couldn't get it out of my mind. My mom used to make apple butter every few years while I was growing up and she would sometimes make pear butter. It really wasn't one of my favorite things to put on my toast, but the older I got the more I liked it. Imagine that! Hence the craving for some fruit butter and those pears were just staring me in the face.

I looked on line for a recipe, but everything called for 'a lot' of pears and I only had six. So I loosely followed the recipe and came up with just this one container. It turned out a little darker than I thought it would, but man does it just hit the spot. I even took it and some bread to work yesterday, to share with my co-worker. She liked it also.

Last night I went to knit night. My Shetland Pi shawl is coming along nicely. I am on clue four. I also ripped out one shawl and restarted it in a different pattern. The new pattern isn't as easy to memorize as the previous one, but I will have enough yarn to complete it. Knitting pictures should be coming soon. I have a lot of FO, but they are Christmas gifts so no pictures till they are gifted.

Well, off to have some more pear butter and get this day going. Happy knitting and spinning.

3 comments:

Anita said...

Pear butter sounds yummy! Where did you find the recipe?

Hee hee hee, the verification word is "hated". I guess blogger didn't like your pear butter!

Sheryl Kenoyer said...

I absolutely adore pear butter! Care to share the recipe?

LDSVenus said...

I use to make pear butter when I made apple butter. That was a long time ago. I had a friend who had a friend that owned an apple and pear orchard and we got to pick wind fall fruit. We got bushels off the ground. Most in very good condition. :) I have to say that pear butter was my favorite. ;) My children always looked forward to the apple butter because it was always gone months before time to make it again. :)