Monday, January 25, 2010

My Own Personal Fiber Club

I noticed last night that I had two open blossoms on my 18 year old Christmas cactus. I was excited to see a couple other buds there also. This cactus also had blossoms a month ago, before I left for Idaho. I just thought I would share the pretty pink blossoms with you.


The main reason for this post is to show you my own personal fiber club. I have so many bins of fiber! It seems like I can't ever decide what to spin next or even if I'll get it spun before the next fiber fair. So in order to try to get some of it spun, I decided to give myself a challenge.

Each one of those seven bags contains anywhere from two to eight ounces of fiber, most of them are four ounces. There is fiber I got at the Fiber Fair in Montpelier this past October and fiber from the only SOAR I have attended which was in 1996. There is merino, silk, bfl, alpaca, and I'm not even sure what else is there, but I know that when I open each bag I will be surprised and have a challenge on my hands. My plan is to open and spin one bag each month and I will start as soon as the fiber I am spinning on the Traditional is finished. That will leave fiber on only one wheel at the moment, the Scholar, and I might even wait to start this challenge when that is completely spun. That is seven months of fun there!

I have had a spinning weekend. I have been plying what was on the Hitchiker, eight ounces of a merino/silk blend, and I think there is about 900 yds of fingering weight there. It will make a nice shawl for the 10 Shawls in 2010 group on Ravelry. I am hoping I can make the ten shawls this year along with the other knitting being planned also, Christmas for the grandsons.

Anyone care to join me in your own personal fiber club?

Happy knitting and spinning.

4 comments:

Anita said...

That just sounds like alot of work. I think I'll just stick to making baby blankets and burp cloths and my latest favorite, nursing covers! I'm glad you enjoy doing the spinning, though!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to get to my wheel for the Ravelympics.

Happy spinning!

LDSVenus said...

Your christmas cactus blossoms look different than mine. Hmmm.

What fun for your personal fiber club. I really need to do that :P. I have to finish knitting the blanket for my grand daughter first, I promised her ;P. But I have been itching to spin, I must wait ;P.

lacinitting said...

Such a good idea!