Thursday, May 21, 2009

ES Goes to Latvia and Brings Me Back Fiber Related Gifts

I thought I would share some recent events with pictures. First off is the indigo plant that I bought at MS&W. Liz bought one also and shows a picture at the bottom of this post. My plant is doing very well out on the balcony and even has some little red buds forming. I've never grown indigo before, so I am enjoying this plant as I watch it grow. It amazed me at how fast it adjusted to the pot I put it in and the sun it is getting. It has grown quite a bit since I brought it home.

In other news and pictures: ES went to Latvia for a conference last week and he brought me presents. He brought me the nesting dolls. "C" got quite a smile on his face when he saw them and had a fun time pulling them all apart and setting them up. Yes, he is still a child at heart, even if he is almost 18 yrs old. The stacking doll is now sitting at a place of honor on the mantle waiting for little fingers to come play with it, or big fingers for that matter.


The second gift ES brought was this skein of single ply yarn. There are 340 grams in this skein which is pretty close to the color in my monitor. It is a grey/light brown color. I haven't figured out how many yards are in there yet, but know there is at least 600. This will make a really pretty shawl, maybe something from Victorian Lace Today. ES told the story, when he gave me the yarn, of buying the yarn. He said that the lady he bought it from was very definite about it being wool, a very good yarn and at a very good price. She did not want to sell him anything else but wool which worked well because ES wanted the wool. The little white spot in the center is actually the sticker that has the price and the weight. ES says he couldn't get across to the lady that he did know a little about yarn, because his wife was a spinner and a knitter and he has picked up some knowledge from that fact.

The last gift he brought me was this pair of hand knit lace socks in the large size. He says there were only two sizes there at the street market, small and large. I think ES did a very fine job of bringing back surprises from his trip to Latvia. He even brought back chocolate, but gave that to "C" which I don't think he has eaten yet, by the way.

ES's next trip is to Chicago and I get to go with him. Maybe I can find some suvienor yarn when we go there next month.

Until next time, Happy knitting and spinning.

3 comments:

Anita said...

Your hubby brings back much better gifts than mine! Actually, mine has only brought back stuff for kids. He brought me a plaque from Canada once that had a bronzed leaf on it. What was I supposed to do with that? Nice gifts for you, though!

Sheryl Kenoyer said...

Beautiful yarn - and so thoughtful of hubby!

LDSVenus said...

What a wonderful hubby you have. Gotta love those nesting dolls, they've been around forever. :) Be sure and post a picture of the shawl you make, and it needs to be for you since the yarn was a gift from your hubby. I'm sure he will enjoy seeing you wear a shawl you made from his gift of the yarn. The socks are really nice too. :)