Sunday, May 4, 2008

Nowtlwonk Springs

The "Wool-Trek" was well worth the trip this year! We had a lot of fun. There were five of us who drove down from the Pocatello area and four who drove down from the Inkom area. Just about half of the people attending Jo and Fred's knit-in, spin-in, touching and feeling of wool and the ultimate in b-u-y-i-n-g of wool were from Idaho.

Before lunch, some of us went to look at the new lambs. I like this picture of Catherine taken by the pasture the lambs were in. The
ewe looking over her shoulder seems to be checking us out as much as we were checking them out.

There were two little black lambs in this pasture and this young girl really liked the one. But she, the girl, was kind of grossed out because the lamb was doing her "business" while the girl was looking at her. I just had to laugh!


After everyone had their fill of the wonderful lamb stew and pot-luck lunch, Fred told Cindy that she needed to go outside. So we all followed. Fred said Cindy had said in the past that she just wanted to roll around in the wool one day. Well, Saturday was the day! Fred pushed her into the "skirts" before the "Skirt Scramble" began, just so she could say that she had rolled around in the wool. Cindy even had a pose in the wool for us.

The "skirt scramble" is the last item on the agenda at most of the "wool-treks" I have attended. This is the time when Fred and Jo get to get rid of the "skirts".
The Knowlton's have beautiful fleeces and roving for sale. They even have some yarn spun and the skeins are for sale. But I think the funnest time of the day is watching everyone dive for the "skirts". It's raw and dirty, but s-o-o-o much fun to see what you can get and do with the "free" wool. Some of mine is right now soaking in the sink getting it's bath.

I told myself that this year that I would get everything washed before a week had gone past. It's a good thing I didn't buy a fleece! I indulged just a little and bought some roving, about a pound and a half of white and two bumps of a very dark brown. I think I have a project for the dark brown and it might be the next fiber on the Lendrum when I get the viscous spun.

On the knitting front, I have used all but about two yards of my silk challenge. I still need to put a boarder on the project. It's a good thing I have some fiber that was dyed at the same time as the silk challenge, so I can complete the boarder.

The Pi Shawl has been frogged and I am winding the yarn to start again. No, I didn't miscount or anything. I just liked it better on a larger needle size. It won't be too long until it's back to where you say it before.

Happy knitting & spinning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking my photo, Laura! I, too, am washing fleece, but it is the one from last year. It was very painful to not buy a fleece, so I must make sure I am qualified for a purchase next year.