Sunday, June 15, 2008

Silk Shawl Unveiling

I thought I would show you the process I went through for the silk challenge for the fiber guild. I didn't get to attend the "big unveiling" in May, but will be there this next Saturday to show everyone in person.


First, I spun the silk in the first picture. I had dyed the silk with the same colors that I had used to dye some wool I got from Heather that she got from Portland. I had three bumps of the wool and two ounces of the silk. Both fibers spun up very nicely. The silk spun up better than I thought it would! Lyn had told me that I wouldn't have problems spinning the silk, because of the way I spin anyways.


Here are the full bobbins of the spun fiber. The silk is on the left, in case you can't tell, and the wool is on the right. They look very much different on the bobbins than they did in the fiber stage.






Here is the fiber plied and skeined, ready to be wound into a ball and start the knitting process. I think, if I remember right, I ended up with about 560 yards altogether of the silk blend fiber. It worked up very nicely into this shawl by Myrna Stahman.





Here's the shawl, blocked and ready to be worn. Doesn't she look pretty draped over the wood cart?



I really think she looks better on.

I even wore her at church today when the chapel was a little too cool. I think I will enjoy this shawl and it's many uses.

2 comments:

LDSVenus said...

Wow, gorgeous fiber, beautiful yarn and amazing looking shawl. Thank you for the link, it is on my to do list :).

DC Dad said...

I think it looks better on you than the cart too!